Playing with Homemade PlayDough can be the perfect sensory activity for your kids.
I have tried a lot of homemade playdough recipes in my time. I am always looking for an alternative to just buying the toxic smelly stuff at the store. Especially since I have toddlers who always end up putting some of the playdough in their mouth while playing.
I haven’t been completely satisfied with all the recipes I had tried so far. One day I told this to my little sister (who is the most amazing homemaker) and sure enough, she had a recipe for me to try out that was everything I could hope for. Turns out (like always) she was right.
The recipe she gave me, made playdough that was super soft and squishy. When I added sparkles and a few drops of essential oil to the finished dough it became the perfect sensory activity for my kids. This recipe makes a decent sized batch. We have used it as party favors, gifts, and lots of inside play
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Salt
- 6 Tbl Vegetable Oil
- 3 tsp Cream of Tarter
- 3 Cups of water.
- Food Coloring (I use the McCormick food coloring drops you get in a 4 pack at the grocery store)
- Glitter (any kind will do.)
- 2-4 drops Essential Oil (optional)
- In a large pot mix all the dry ingredients together, then stir in the water and oil.
- Cook on medium low until the mixture starts to become lumpy and pulls away from the edge of the pot.
- Pour dough mixture out of pot and knead by hand until the mixture cools (and has that proper playdough consistency.)
- Add food coloring, and glitter, by folding it into the playdough until thoroughly mixed in. Repeat as necessary until the playdough has desired color and sparkle.
- Add 2-4 drops of your favorite essential oil (make sure it is one that is safe for children like lavender, lemon, orange etc) and fold into mixture making sure it is fully mixed in.
- Seal in air tight container after use.
(note** This playdough doesn’t last forever. Depending on how much it is used and how you store it you can probably get few months out of a batch. I am told that it lasts longer if you store it in an air-tight container in the fridge)
What is your favorite thing to do with Homemade Playdough?