I have always wanted to learn the how to’s of Making Your Own Mega Bubble Solution.
I am not taking about simple bubble solution. I am talking about MEGA Bubble solution. The kind that is durable enough to make massive bubbles.
I knew it was possible. I had seen pictures on pinterest and even been to a event or two where mega bubbles were made. But most of the recipes were vastly different and the premade solution was expensive (especially if I wanted to use them regularly.)
I had planned on experimenting with some different recipes this summer to find one that would do what I wanted. As happens too often my sister beat me to the point.
One day I got a call from my sister saying how she found the perfect recipe for mega monster bubbles and even learned how to make her own mega bubble wands. She was calling to invite us to come play with bubble in her front yard. Thankfully she lives less than 2 miles away so less than 10 minutes after she ended the call we were at her home ready for fun with bubbles!.
She was right this bubble solution recipe worked amazing. I immediately asked for the recipe (which she was all to happy to give me.)
This recipe makes 1 gallon of Mega Bubble Solution which works great with plastic wands and homemade mega bubble wands (one of these days I want to make a triple batch, pour in in my little plastic swim pool, have my kids stand in the middle (in their swim suits) and make bubbles arround my kids using a hula hoop. I am sure the kids will love it!
1 tsp Guargum
2 Tbl Rubbing Alcohol
15 1/2 Cups Hot Water
2 tsp Baking Powder
9 1/2 Tbl (1/2 Cup + 1 1/2 Tbl) Dawn (Pro or Ultra) Liquid Detergent
- Mix the Guar Gum (which you can find in most health food stores) with the rubbing alcohol to make a slurry. (This helps to distribute the guar gum without it clumping up or prematurely hydrating)
- Mix the Guar gum/Alcohol slurry with 5 Cups of Hot Water.
- Stir water/Slurry mix for a few minutes than let it rest to build up viscosity (which happens as the guar gum hydrates.)
- Add the remaining 10 1/2 cups of hot water and stir well.
- Thoroughly mix in Baking Powder & Detergent .
- Pour into containers. (I like to split one batch between 2 Gallon Ice Cream Buckets)
** Making your own mega bubble wand is easy too.
2 wood dowels (We used the 3/5 in dowels from Wal-Mart.)
Cotton (cooking, butchers) twine (which you can get at Bed Bath & Beyond
2 1 in (2.5 cm) Small screw eyes. (which we got at Ace Hardware).
- Screw a screw eye into one end of each dowel.
- Insert the cotton twine through the opening of both of the screw eyes
- Tie the twine in a tight knot making a large circle.
To use just dip the wand in the bucket of bubble solution, and lift slowly holding both dowels close together. Then slowly spread the dowels apart making the twine circle look like a smiley face. If there is no breeze then walk backward to create the air current needed to blow the bubbles. It takes a few tries to get used to making bubbles with these wands but the results are fantastic!
If you liked this post you might also like these: (click on the picture to go to the post)