Caramel apples are one of my Fall/Winter Holiday indulgences.
They are that perfect combination between healthy and sinful indulgence. As much as I love caramel apples, I don’t go to a gourmet chocolate shop to indulge. Guess what neither do you!
Why? Because making gourmet Caramel Apples is actually quite easy. And affordable. It only takes a few minutes. (the longest part is unwrapping all the little caramel squares.)
Blender (though you can crush the butterfingers with a rolling pin in a ziplock)
3 mixing bowls
14 Oz Bag of Wrapped Caramels
2 TBL Milk
2 Cups of Baking Chocolate a’peels
9 Fun Sized or 3 standard sized Butterfinger Candy bars
1 package of Large Craft Sticks
- Wash, & thoroughly dry your Apples.
- Take off stems and insert craft sticks into top of apples. and place on parchment lined cooking sheet.
- Unwrap all the caramels and place them in a microwaveable bowl with the milk, & microwave for 2 minutes.
- Stir caramels once then let site for a few moments to slightly cool.
- Dip apples one at a time in caramel making sure the apple is coated. let excess caramel dip off and then place on baking sheet to cool. (first time I made these I didn’t give the caramel enough time to cool before dipping in the chocolate and made a huge mess.)
- Crush the butterfingers gently in a blender using the pulse option( so that you still have small chunks) and place in bowl.
- Place baking chocolate in a microwaveable bowl and melt it by heating in the microwave in 20-30 second intervals stirring in between. (I prefer to use Guittards chocolate a’peels 1. because they are real chocolate and real is better when baking. 2. they are already tempered so they melt easily and then re-harden quickly. Trust me they are perfect for candy making. )
- Dip cooled caramel apples in the chocolate and turn to make sure the whole apple is covered then gently let excess chocolate drain off the apple.
- Let cool slightly while holding before rolling it quickly in the crushed Butterfinger.
- Place back new baking tray and let cool.
Makes 6 standard sized caramels apples
Prep time 15-25 minutes
Warning: These Butterfinger Caramel Apples are addicting. Once you start eating them you won’t want to stop until they are all gone! They are great for parties, gifts, or to eat while hiding from your kids in your closet.
**If you aren’t a Butterfinger fan you can use other crushed/shopped candy bars, nuts or even cinnamon/sugar (which goes great with white chocolate) to roll the chocolate caramel apple in to give it that gourmet touch. We have tried Snickers, heath, chopped nuts, cinnamon sugar…they are all good but my whole family all agree that the Butterfinger was the best!