(I was given a complimentary set of eyelash extensions to facilitate my review. However, the thoughts and opinions expressed are entirely my own. You can read my full disclosure here)
I have always been curious about getting fake eyelashes (or Eyelash extensions).
Why? Because when done right they are beautiful and subtly enhance your natural beauty. This isn’t a bad or necessarily a vain thing. It is my firm belief that the outside should be a reflection of the inside. Dressing nicely, and wearing makeup and accessories that compliment the beauty from within is a GOOD THING!
Another reason I have been interested in eyelash extensions was because at the last blogger conference (yes there is such a thing) I went to a class about learning how to do videos for your blog and social media (especially Youtube) and the presenter (a well-known food blogger and Youtuber) said that wearing eyelashes actually made a huge difference. She then showed two videos side by side one where she just wore mascara and the other where she has fake eyelashes and wowzer the difference was huge.
So I was looking into trying eyelash extensions but still held off. Why? I was afraid. Yes, I was afraid to try. Here were my fears (in no particular order)
- I was worried that the procedure was unsafe (after all I had heard of cases of eyelash extension that went horribly wrong.
- I was afraid that the procedure would be painful (not a big fan of pain here)
- I was afraid that after paying to have my eyelash extensions done that my super sensitive eyes would be able to hand them. That they would be soo irritated I would have to have them removed.
- I was afraid they wouldn’t look natural
- I was afraid they would look funny and out of place on me.
When I was offered the opportunity to review Star Lash Studio After careful research and consideration I decided to take the plunge and try it out for myself. Star Lash Studio is inside the South Towne Mall in Sandy, Utah. Each technician is trained and certified using the highest quality in products. You can learn more about Star Lash Studio HERE. The studio had a quiet peaceful feel when I arrived which calmed my nerves. As soon as I arrived for my appointment I signed my release form and was led behind a curtain to a private room where the procedure would take place. After examining my eyelashes to determine what size eyelashes I would need I was instructed to lay down on the recliner bed and close my eyes.
Yep for the whole procedure my only responsibility was to just hold still and keep my eyes closed. Jenny (the owner of Star Lash Studio and my technician) carefully place what felt like double sided tape under my eyelashes, cleaned off the still remaining mascara residue from my lashes that I had missed the night before. Then she started applying the eyelashes. She explained that these eyelashes are called semi-permanent because they are glued to my own lashes. in a few weeks, I would need to either come in to get fillers for my grown lashes or choose to remove them.
Thankfully, the procedure didn’t hurt a bit. It just took a little over an hour, I can only imagine the patience these technicians have to have to painstakingly attach each lash one at a time. When she was finished with her word I was given a mirror to see the final results. Honestly, I was blown away. I absolutely LOVED how they looked! Even better I only experienced aa slight irritation in one eye (like I said my eyes are super sensitive and if you go anywhere near them they start to water.) The irritation quickly went away and I stopped noticing the eyelashes were even there.
When I got home my husband was the first person to see me with my new lashes and to say he loved them would be an understatement. I might just have to keep them for a while 😉
A few things to note about eyelash extensions:
- It takes 48 hours for the adhesive to fully dry so you have to be careful for the first two days. (i.e. no showers, no major heat, no rubbing, sleep on your back not on your front or side.)
- You can’t wear any Mascara or use any oil-based eye products or makeup remover. (Though after the first 48 hours you can use eye liner and eye shadow) ‘
- No curling your lashes using an eyelash curler.
- After 2-3 weeks depending on how fast your eyelashes grow you will have to go back to get fillers or you can have them removed.
- They are awesome for getting ready on the quick!
I really love the convenience of having the eyelash extensions. It’s amazing how quick I can get ready each day now that I don’t have to fuss with my eyelashes and what a difference they make in helping me look more polished. And did I mention that my husband thinks they are sexy? Yeah, that alone makes it worth it 😉
If you are thinking about getting eyelash extensions I would highly recommend going to Star Lash Studio. You can follow them on here on Instagram and Facebook.