(I was supplied the window cling material by Cricut to help facilitate this post. This post does contain affiliate links which don’t affect you at all if you use them but help me keep my site running. So thank you. You can read my full disclosure here.)
**note: I meant to get this up before Christmas but life got a little crazy. I did get the SVG cut file up for people to download which man did, so I guess I better get the instructions up (even if for next year.)
Dress up your Windows this Christmas with these easy to make DIY Christmas Window Clings.
As many of you know my family is currently overseas. I knew we would be gone over the Christmas holidays but I didn’t have much space in my luggage to take all the Christmas decorations I would normally decorate with back home. Still, I wanted to have some decorations for my favorite holiday to make it special for my kids. I brought with me little stockings and Gingerbread House Sticker Activity Sheets (From the Oriental Trading Company) left over from my family’s Christmas party which you can read about here. I wanted a little something more, so I put my creative hat on and pulled out my Cricut Explore Air 2.
First I designed and made some fun Christmas Magnetic Words (see DIY Tutorial HERE) then I decided to make my own Christmas Window Clings. I remember how much I enjoyed decorating with Window Clings as a child and figured that my kids would enjoy them just as much.
Honestly, I had been dying to make my own window clings ever since I had gotten Cricut’s Christmas Window Cling Sampler (which had 3 sheets of 12x24in Window Cling in 3 Colors: Red, Green & Gold) I designed the SVG Cut Files specifically for the sampler set. In other words, I designed 3 SVG Cut Files Color coordinated for each sheet which you would match up According to the Picture below when you put them on the windows.
Ok now for the fun part. Keep reading for the step by step instructions for how to make your own Christmas window clings:
- Cricut Explore Air 2 (or any other Cricut Cutting Machine)
- Cricut Design Space
- SVG Cut File
- Cricut Christmas Window Cling Sampler set
- 12x24in Standard Grip Mat
- Cricut Tool Set
- Upload Each Cut File into your Design Space Library
- Select all three Cut File Images and insert them to your Design Space Canvas
- Select all three and size them as large as you can to fit on the 12x24in sheet
**The sizes I made each are Green= 11.28 x 22.35in Red= 11.24x 22.66in Gold=11.37 x 22.35in
- Click the Go button to send design file to your Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine.
- Place your first Window Cling sheet (the liner side down) on your mat making sure to line up the sides carefully. (I like to place my mat partially under the cricut and then roll the window cling onto the mat.
- Then load mat into your Cricut cutting machine, set your dial to Custom (and your computer drop down to Window Clings, and then hit the go button to start cutting.
- Using your Cricut weeding tool (the one with the hook) weed out all the unneeded window cling from the backing
- Peel off window clings and carefully place on windows or smooth surfaces.
Some of the designs are a bit more intricate than the others so the adults or older kids will have to put those up. However, I tried to include a bunch of larger, easier letters to give the little kids plenty to put up as well. The best part is that these are easy to remove and totally reusable if you keep the window cling backing sheet to put them back on to store for later.
If you liked this post then check out these: (click on the pictures to go to the posts)