This post is sponsored by Hippo. They provided the equipment & materials to facilitate this post. The views and opinions expressed are entirely my own. You can view my full disclosure here.
Did you know that you can convert an Epson EcoTank Printer into Sublimation Printer?
Sublimation has been around for a long time. However, for years it was too expensive for small businesses and hobbyists to do. Thanks to modern technology this is no longer the case. You don’t even need to buy an official sublimation printer anymore. Now you can convert regular printers to use with sublimation inks. Today I want t show you how to convert an Epson EcoTank Printer Into a Sublimation Printer with Hiipoo Ink.
Converting an Epson EcoTank Printer into a Sublimation printer does take some time, but it is actually pretty easy. I made a Youtube video showing step-by-step how to do so. You can watch it below. However, I’ll also write out the instructions for you here for those who prefer written instructions.
***If you are looking for the Free Sublimation Design for the Live Laugh Love mug from the Youtube Video here is the link to the Download.
When looking to convert an inkjet printer into a sublimation printer it is important to buy the right printer. Not just any inkjet is compatible with sublimation inks. The best printers to use are Epson EcoTank printers. Because of how high the demand is for these printers, they are often on backorder. However, they restock quickly and often to if its not available when you first look, check back. I got the Epson EcoTank 2760 Printer however any Epson EcoTank Printer will work. I hear the EcoTank 2720 is also quite popular.
Thankfully the process to convert your EcoTank Printer into a Sublimation Printer is pretty much the same no matter which Epson EcoTank Printer you Have. You need to start with a brand new printer. The reason behind this is you can’t mix regular ink with sublimation ink. (This also means once you convert your printer to Sublimation it can only be used for Sublimation.)
When converting my printer I used Hiipoo Sublimation Ink which has great reviews on Amazon (5 Stars with over 1300 reviews!) and is very affordable. It is also a good idea to stick with whatever brand of Sublimation Ink you use the first time to make sure the printer keeps running well.
You can convert your Epson EcoTank Printer right now using the instructions below or pin this post to your Sublimation board on Pinterest to find later.
- Buy a Brand New Epson EcoTank Printer (I got the EcoTank 2760)
- Open the box, and pull out the printer, Ink, cords, and instruction book.
- Throw away the ink (you won't use the ink that comes with the printer)
Before plugging in your printer add your Sublimation Ink!
- Take off all the protective tape and open the printer to get to the Ink Tanks in the front.
- Open your box of Hiipoo Sublimation Ink and pull out ink bottles, syringes & gloves.
- Open the ink tank tap for the far left tab (on the Epson 2760 that was for the black ink)
- Extract the Sublimation ink from the bottle using the long needle on your first syringe.
- Insert the needle into the top opening of the Ink Tank and slowly inject the ink into the ink tank.
--> Repeat until you reach the full line on the tank. **This will take a few times.
-->Repeat the process for all the other Ink Tanks ** Make sure you put the right color in the right ink tank.
Finish Printer Set Up LIke Normal.
For this, you just follow the easy step by step instruction that comes with your printer.
The instructions will have you:
- plug in your printer
- raise the console and choose your language
- charge your ink (to get the ink flowing through the printer)
- Test the ink by following the instructions for a print head check. ** If there are any gaps in the printing (which mine did) then follow instructions to have the printer clean ink heads and then do a more comprehensive print test. (Don't worry it's super easy, just follow the instructions.)
Install Printer Drivers
- Install the Drivers and Firmware (the link for that is in the instruction booklet. **Once you download just follow the on-screen installation instructions to install the drivers and firmware, set up printer onto your wifi, and link with your computer.
Set up printer preferences
After the printer is all set up you want to set up your printer's default preferences so you don't have to manually do so every time your go to print.
To do this you need to:
- Go to your computer setting and pull up your list of printers and scanners
- Select the printer you just installed (for me it was the Epson 2760 and click the manage button.
- Click on the Printing Preferences option.
- Set the paper size as Letter (8.5x11).
- Change your paper type to Premium Presentation Paper Matte.
- Change the Quality of the print to High.
- Then lastly go to the more options tab at the top and then select mirror image.
These preferences will make it so your default setting on this printer are perfect for sublimation. **As a note when you go to print the printer will ask if you have the right paper in just select yes and you are good to go.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Like I said it takes time to convert and set up your EcoTank printer into a Sublimation Printer, but the process itself is actually quite easy. The good news is you only have to do this once. After your printer is all set up it works like a normal printer. You just need to keep adding ink when it gets low.
**As a note when you print out your sublimation designs they will look light and slightly faded. Don’t Freak out this is how it is supposed to look. The ink is heat activated and the full color will not show till pressed.
Do you have any questions on how to convert a printer into a sublimation printer or about sublimation? ask in the comments below and if I don’t know I’ll look it up and answer you.
If you liked this post then check out these: (Click on the photo to go to the post)